Friday, August 26, 2011

Porting to Harmattan (3)

Some time ago, I decided that the only feasible way for Stockona to run well on Meego Harmattan was to re-work the UI using Qt components. The main reason was window focus issue that's very annoying to me. For whatever reason, the VKB in Harmattan doesn't work well with pure QML TextInput element. The focus becomes sticky once VKB is shown. I have tried to fill the un-used area on screen with MouseArea element to make de-focusing works like how it should be, but then sometimes when I switched in/out of task manager, the VKB popped up for no reason. I gave up debugging this and step-by-step changed the UI to Qt component. I was unsure if it would be worthwhile doing so, but in the end I think it was a correct decision. Qt component works great, and takes care of the UI design work so I have more time fixing some of the logic bugs instead of trying to put together graphic elements like what I did on Fremantle. I found the Sheet and Dialog (QueryDialog to be specific) elements to be especially handy for taking user inputs and displaying information to users.

The only disadvantage using Qt component is of course the portability becomes an issue for other platforms. Now I have been focusing on the Harmattan version and made several releases, the code base has become quite different to Fremantle's version in several areas. I am kind of lazy to merge the changes back and seriously hope the community project to make Qt component available on Fremantle will be working soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment